Saturday, May 20, 2017

I've Always Been Crazy


Waylon Jennings - "I've Always Been Crazy" (1978) - RCA Victor

Hello Friends,

There's two great bits of trivia in regards to the life and career of Waylon Jennings.  The first is, did you know that Waylon Jennings gave up his seat on Buddy Holly's plane the night of the infamous crash which killed Holly, Richie Valens, the Big Bopper, etc.?

The other is that he sang the Dukes of Hazzard theme song!

This is a great, late 70's outlaw country record by the world-weary and coked-addled Jennings.

It kicks off with the great title track, "I've Always Been Crazy" where Jennings confesses:

I've always been crazy and the trouble that it's put me through
I've been busted for things that I did, and I didn't do
I can't say I'm proud of all of the things that I've done
But I can say I've never intentionally hurt anyone


Awesome!

Also on the record is a cover of a Tony Joe White song ("Billy"), a Shel Silverstein-penned tune ("Whistlers & Jugglers"), a medley of Buddy Holly hits, a Merle Haggard cover ("Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down") and a cover of Johnny Cash's early hit, "I Walk The Line" (which in Jennings's hands takes on a whole new, more somber tone!)

A must listen if you're into the boozy & druggie outlaw country movement of the late 70's.

Extra points for Jennings's coked out stare on the album's cover!

Image result for waylon jennings i've always been crazy eyes


RATING: 4.5 close watches on this heart of mine out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment