Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Flying Club Cup

Beirut - "The Flying Club Cup" (2007) - Ba Da Bing! Records

Hello Friends,

Happy New Year to y'all!  We're listening to this record while enjoying our Sunday Brunch which is probably the best way to listen to this record.  Definite White-people Brunch music.  

The songs are mostly quiet, melodic & subdued with French-sounding arrangements featuring lots of piano, ukulele, accordions, upright bass, french horns, clarinets & even a bouzouki.

Side One's closer "Cliquot" is probably the album's highlight (it features a really nice-sounding string arrangement courtesy of Final Fantasy's/Arcade Fire's Owen Pallett.)

Back in 2007, I remember reading a review for this album that described it as a cross between Neutral Milk Hotel and Gogol Bordello.  At the time this sounded like a winning combination, but I've come since to realize that while I thoroughly enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel's two unbelievable records, I don't really enjoy things that sound like them or artists who were too clearly influenced by them.  Been there, done that, I guess.  (The same holds true for any artist that is described as sounding like Elliott Smith.)  As for the Gogol Bordello reference, I don't really hear it although the reviewer was probably confusing Beirut's Balkan Chamber Pop sound and Gogol Bordello's unique brand of gypsy punk rock. One makes me want to drink tea with scones, the other makes me want to chug vodka and set fire to things!

To each his own, I guess.

RATING: 3.5 Sunday Smiles out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment